Monday, March 7, 2011

Call to Adoption the details


Peru Team- Gateway Church- Blue Springs Mo -2010

I have to begin several months back, about March while in preparation for this years mission trip to Peru. God began speaking to my heart in a still small voice about what it means to be an orphan, both physically and spiritually. As God confirmed my calling to return to Peru in 2010 with Gateway church &; ChildReach ministries He led me to James 1:27 which states the following in the: “Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.”



What I was looking for in a confirmation to 'Go' is what I found in this scripture. The word FATHERLESS stands out to me. One phrase that I kept hearing consistently was this: “FAITH WITH OUT WORKS IS DEAD” and after doing some research, I found that this is also in the book of James!



As the time passed leading up to my trip in June God has unfolded what it means to be an Orphan.


Spiritually Orphan means to be separated from God. As a spiritual Orphan I am lost in need of a Savior and my spiritual father, the devil is dead making my soul fatherless the devil does not care for or provide for his children.
Physically – Orphan means to be without parents- fatherless. God has revealed to me what it has cost Him to purchase me, Adopt me (Romans 8:15). When I realized what it cost Him (John 3:16) I decided that my attitude toward the cost of physical Adoption has to change…. Because maybe….just maybe, God has allowed the cost of Adoption to continually increase so that just maybe we would see the parallel to what it cost Him to give Jesus, His only Son for the payment of our redemption so that we could be Adopted into God’s family(Ephesians 1:13-14). Even as these revelations unfolded for me leading up to the trip I really didn't think we would be called to Adoption. We had even had several people suggesting to us that we should.
Adoption has been the farthest thing from my mind!...hasn't it... ?


I do remember praying that if God would want us to tell His story about what it cost Him to Adopt us spiritually through physical Adoption; then that would be ok. I never really thought it would become a reality.


God has gradually changed my attitude and perspective toward the cost of Adoption. The way I see it is that in God’s heart there is NO price too high to redeem a fatherless child or Fatherless soul.



God revealed some things to me on my trip that had caused me to be in much prayer and desperately seeking His continued direction. As I looked on the Internet for audio sermons about Mary and Joseph I came across one sermon in which was quoted that same phrase yet again, “FAITH WITHOUT WORKS IS DEAD



I have been pondering something in my heart since June 2010. When God spoke to me through many of our team members throughout this week I didn’t really take it to heart but when I came across this scripture I knew I could no longer deny what God has been trying to tell me for some time now.



Psalm 113:9


“He maketh the barren woman to keep house, and to be a joyful mother of children. Praise ye the LORD.”


While in Peru The day previous to God revealing this scripture; I had completely broken and asked God to show me what it was that I have been missing…. I was prompted to pray that because of the song the team had sang that morning. It was 'Give me your Eyes' by Brandon Heath –  one verse says…."show me what I have been missing"…. one morning Liz, our song leader, had read psalm 111; this really stood out to me because it spoke about the heart and the Heart of Truth was a theme I was also preparing for our church's upcoming youth camp that would be just after returning home from this mission trip. During this trip I had desperately been trying to get some alone, quiet time in the Word. This was continually a challenge being in small quarters with 40 other people...
 I really...REALLY wanted to go back over that scripture. The next time we had the chance I went straight to Psalm 111 to review that and I just kept reading and that is when I came upon chapter 113 verse 9 as I listed above.



Now let me go back and place some pieces together here..…. I hope you see how God used so many small things to show me what I was missing...
 As our team gathered on the bus at the airport in Peru to head to Hannah’s home from the air port I found myself sitting next to a brilliant young woman , Liz. She and I were exchanging stories about how it was that we came to be on this trip and as I shared my last two years experience with her of my calling to this trip and all the ways God had confirmed I should be on this trip and the struggles Bill and I have had with infertility and  two miscarriages, then the spiritual battle I have had leading up to this years trip.


Nick




Nick approached me the following day after our lunch in Pucusana and he began by apologizing for listening to my conversation with Liz. He expressed his sorrow for our experience and that he had NO idea that we had been through such things. He was so precious, as he was sincerely hurt by our circumstances.  Our conversation was interrupted by team photo time and so we agreed to talk more at a later time.



That evening after our team meeting time Nick and I had a long talk about his journey and how God had used my conversation with Liz to help him realize that God was testing him too. He had never thought of his situation that way and so he was thanking me for that. (We never know how God will use us in the lives of others!) In the midst of our conversation Nick explained to me how he believed God was telling him that we would adopt from this orphanage in Peru and even said it would be a  little girl. He insisted that God was telling him this.
I told Nick that I didn’t think so right now. I shared with him that I did come on the trip with specific questions/prayers about what/how God wanted me to be a part of either Hannah’s directly or more with ChildReach if either of those. I couldn't shake not knowing why God keeps calling me to this place...


As the next few days unfolded NOTHING went as I had planned… I felt like the plan we had spent so much time in preparing for our VBS was all a failure.



Our nightly Peru team meetings revealed something different…. the truth...everyone that attended and helped with VBS had a great time and God was working in their lives!



It didn’t matter how I felt about it. God did what He was doing regardless of our feelings or our perspective on the situation. We don’t always see what God is doing (Jer 29:11) and we don’t always understand (prov. 3:5-6) we must not lean on our understanding but acknowledge Him in ALL our ways and HE will direct our path….

If I have learned one thing on this trip, it is to be FLEXIBLE, and to leave God room to work.



By Wednesday I had asked many questions to alot of leaders that I had been directed to; questions about Hannah’s... the programs and the local church connection. I hadn't really seen or felt a pull toward anything so at that point I began wondering what I was supposed to be doing in this place… God gently directed me to simply serve and what ever is in front of me each moment...do that.


So as I continued through the day’s looking for what was in front of me and continuing to look beyond the surface of the things I was seeing with my eyes, as that was something God has led me to do going into this trip.
I was overwhelmed and broken hearted by this point, that was when I heard the song I talked about earlier.


After singing praises and confessing my prayer to God "show me what I am missing"  The first thing I saw that stood out to me as we walked away from our team morning praise was a t-shirt; Mike Stiles was wearing, I have seen this shirt several times over the last few years  of serving in Peru and have always wanted one. The shirt says in big letters I AM ADOPTED.







I shot a few photos in light of the fact that I had just a few minutes ago asked God
I didn’t spend much time at all thinking about the incident but went onto my plumbing assignment. This is where I met a college student, Kyle; who is volunteering at Hannah’s for the summer. One of our team challenges for that day from our devotionals was to single out a Peruvian or staff member for a significant conversation find out about them, their family, school, marriage ect. As I inquired about Kyle and learned about him and that he is engaged to one of the other girls volunteering here for the summer; of course he asked about me ect, ect. And some how we ended up discussing how long I have been married how old am I and how did I come on this trip…. That led to a brief discussion of the last two years and how God has called me to Peru and how God used James 1:27 and has been revealing all those things about the Orphan, both physically and spiritually to me since January and I wasn’t really sure what He was doing in all of this. Kyle, at some point in the conversation said the following quote:
 “You are a parent with out a child and these are children without a parent
That totally blew me away...that struck me... as many times as we had been asked " have you ever thought about adoption?" I have never heard it said quite like this before... He never did ask that... which is the question everyone usually throws out there… I commented to Kyle "that was different… I have never heard it quite like that before…."


Kyle was called to help someone at this point and I went on to have a discussion with another student volunteer, Karina a sweet young lady about 16 yrs old.
 Important to know...she had not heard any of the conversation between Kyle and myself…


Kyle, wife: Casey & Song leader Liz


I proceeded getting to know her and asked about what she was doing here in Peru and about her family… she began telling me about her family and when she got to the part about her siblings she addressed them as her ADOPTED brothers…. really...???...



Now that REALLY hit me… I was starting to see a pattern in my day and very quickly I might add... As I walked away from that conversation, I chose to believe, to believe that God was calling us to adoption! I talk about walking by faith all the time, and tend to do so... but this... this was HUGE! Becoming parents is not the same as going on a trip to a foreign country, or moving to a different county... this is a major life change...



That evening we had church service in Lima and I was desperately needing some alone time with the Lord but not being able to find a quiet place in the midst of 40 people…
I was so excited that we were going to church! I had prayed a prayer and asked God to show up like he did at this church last year!Just let them bring up something about our team VBS skit or theme in some way just like last what happened last year… I needed it, to keep believing that God was in this!



We arrived at the church and it was hugs and kisses all around!!! My kind of place; I'll take all those I can get!!! I sat down in my front row seat and while I was looking around I spotted a little baby girl, in the arms of an older woman, my heart JUMPED and I thought I have to hold that baby!!!! I have not felt such a strong desire to hold a baby in years…. That was so strange….something happened inside me that I can not explain.
I hadn’t really felt much all week even when God had answered so many prayers and I had seen him do so much in the lives of the people on this team… so that jump in my heart really made and impact on me…
I approached the woman but didn’t have the courage to ask if I could hold the baby. I did have a cross necklace in my pocket. I leaned down and hugged them both, then placed the necklace around the baby’s neck.
I can not forget that moment...when I saw her... covered in her pretty blanket…and... my heart exploded! It was like something came alive in that moment.
I like how this photo is not clear...it reminds me that the plan won't always be clear but I just have to keep moving closer to it if I want to get the clear picture!











The service was great and the speaker brought up the character of David and how his faith in God was his strength. I SOOOO needed that!!! God was answering my small prayers... again, just so I knew He was there with me and in every detail, big and small.


That night as I reflected on my day and listened to my own words…. Walk by faith… and Faith was the theme of our VBS for this year in Peru and back at our home church VBS also. Coincidence?... I say Providence!
 I thought...well... if I am going to talk about trusting God then I should do it in all things. So again, I said God I choose to believe that you are calling us to Adoption. I asked God to please give me scripture to stand on because I know the storm will come.


On Thursday morning (next day) we were given one hour for quiet time, it was mandatory! PRAISE GOD! Finally…I knew exactly what I was going to read. I read Psalm 111, 112, and went on into 113 and came upon vs.9 "He maketh the barren woman to keep house, and to be a joyful mother of children. Praise ye the LORD."





I had just the night before asked the Lord for scripture to hold onto if this was really what He was trying to show me!
 If I was going to walk by faith then I had to believe. Believe in what I could not see right now! (Hebrews 11:1)


I recalled the phrase Kyle had said to me. I was moved to write him a note to  thank him for allowing God to use him and to ask for prayer. I would have keep this quiet for the rest of the week until I got home and talked to my Bill. I couldn't risk it leaking out over the internet in the blog before I could talk to him, face to face.
 As I reached in my bag for a card  to write on I found a copy of the children’s booklet we had used for VBS. It was tucked into my greeting cards. On the back of the booklet was a verse about Jesus telling the Disciples He was going to prepare a place for them. This verse is why I believe that what we are supposed to be doing now is preparing the place. The first thing I thought of when I was on my first work assignment on Monday was that very scripture and how what we were doing there in Peru is helping prepare the place for the orphans of Hannah’s Home.





Hannah's  progress
 

Our Place Preparations begin...
  


As most of you know... there is so much more to this story. God has redirected our path a little, we are going through the foster care system to become foster/adoptive parents. We are currently in our licensing process and preparation of our home. We will be accepting girls 0-2 years old, trusting God is bringing our little girl through this path.
There are many more details...those will be included in the book...whenever God is finished with the perfecting of His story, in me...
Thank you for taking interest in our journey... I pray it inspires and encourages you to walk by faith down your path of life.


Final Preparations Begin
God Speed





2 comments:

Unknown said...

in tears of joy right now. im so happy for you two!

Amy D. said...

I love your story, Carolyn!! Thanks for sharing your heart and your journey. It is truly inspiring! You should check out Isaiah 43: 4-7. I saw this on an adoption website once, and it has been encouraging to me. Love ya Gina!!
-Amy D.