Wednesday, May 13, 2015

A Walk Through The Wilderness

This year in my Wednesday morning Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) class we studied the life of Moses.
Let me tell you, it was not the easiest study! Exodus - Leviticus - Numbers - Deuteronomy! I think I read all of Exodus about half of Leviticus,Numbers & Deuteronomy! I did about 90% of the homework. Even though I didn't get all the reading done I still learned some things!
Through this study God showed me how Holy He is, he requires complete obedience and how often He repeats Himself to His followers, how full of grace, mercy, love and justice He is and that He CAN NOT LIE. Even Moses, God's most devoted and faithful follower, who God even called His friend, had consequences for his disobedience! NO ONE is exempt from God's law!
 In reflection over the past three yrs, feeling like we have been wandering through our own personal wilderness. When I look at my own life it seems that I had turned into an ungrateful complainer just like those Israelite's.
During this study we learned that even complaining is a sin! It was so eye opening! When I just stop for a second and think of what I do have instead of focusing on what I don't have, I always find something to say, "thank you God". When I begin to complain I remember I need to look for something positive...even if my path is hard, it's either because I made a bad decision or this is the path God has laid for me and the difficulty is for a reason that I can not see right now. It may be generations down the line before it's known the reasons for our trials in our life. Going forward I am determined to be intentionally grateful and thankful for something every day.
By watching Moses lead the complaining Israelite's for 40 years I am inspired by His example that it is possible to keep my faith even in the middle of the wilderness and in the midst of a culture that does not recognize God for who He is and are not satisfied with God's provision and who are against His laws.
This does not have to influence MY worship to our Holy God and creator. He deserves my honor and praise simply because of who He is!
I am again reminded that it is Christ in me that makes me who I am, well the who that is good. My principles and values in life come from God and I have a deeper insight to that after this study.
I realize that in this life we will all go through the wilderness at some time in our lives and probably many times over our lifetime. The reality that it will happen is not a question BUT how I walk through each wilderness season is up to me. I sure hope I have learned what I needed to during this time in the wilderness and that no matter how many more times in my life I walk through it that I walk it with that same faith that Moses displayed during his journey.
 I hope that I can walk out the rest of my days ALWAYS remembering to call on God because He is my sustainer, provider, my guide and my purpose. He is MY God and I am so grateful He has given the whole world the opportunity to be adopted into His family, to follow after Him.
It's incredibly sad to think that our country's history of liberty and freedom would not exist at all if not for the laws and principals layed out by God. Thank You to those men, women and families who sacrificed their lives to bring the Bible to what we now know as America! Freedom has been built on individuals and cultures who weren't afraid to stand for what is right over thousands of years. Will I be counted among so many who have stood for truth! Something to think about!

No comments: